Vermicelli is a popular South Indian Breakfast. I generally prefer it over chowmein which is one of my daughter’s favorite dish. After trying lot of variants I finally clicked on the right one which goes well with my daughter’s taste buds.
Seviyan/ Whole Wheat Vermicelli- 1.5 Cups (Roasted)
Onion – 1 Medium (finely sliced)
Carrot – 1/2 Cup (finely chopped)
Green Peas – 1/2 Cup
Tomato – 1 Large (finely chopped)
Peanuts – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Green chili – 1 slited
Red chili – 1 whole (optional)
Grated ginger – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 8-9
Asafoetida/Hing – A pinch
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt – As needed
Oil / ghee – As needed
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add all the dals and fry them till they get browned.
- Add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- Now add the curry leaves, peanuts, ginger, green chill, red chili and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.
- Add asafoetida and stir for a few seconds.
- Add chopped carrot, green peas, tomato and turmeric powder. Add salt.
- Pour 2 spoon water & cook on the low flame for 3-4 minutes till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Then add water & let the mixture come to a boil.
- Lower the flame and add the roasted vermicelli. Mix it will and cover it.
- Cook the vermicelli till they become soft and all the water is absorbed.
- Keep on stirring in between.
- When the vermicelli is cooked completely switch off the fire.
- Serve it hot, garnished with some coriander leaves.