Sooji Upma is made more or less like Vermicelli upma. Let me share the recipe with you
Semolina/ Sooji/ Rava (fine variety) – 1 Cup
Onion – 1 Medium (finely sliced)
Cashew-nuts/ Kaju – 10-12
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Green chili – 1 slited
Grated ginger – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 8-9
Asafoetida/Hing – A pinch
Water – 2.5 cups
Salt – As needed
Oil / ghee – As needed
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add all the dals & cashews and fry them till they get browned.
- Add asafoetida and stir for a few seconds.
- Then add the sliced onion, curry leaves, ginger, green chill and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.
- Add unroasted sooji.
- On a low to medium flame, roast them well until lightly golden. Do not burn, keep stirring.
- While the sooji gets roasted, to a small pot add water and salt and taste it. It should be slightly salty. Bring this to a boil.It can be done either on gas or microwave.
- Pour the hot water to the sooji and stir immediately to prevent lumps.
- Cook on a medium high flame without covering till the entire moisture is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Cover the pan and Switch off the gas. Leave it aside for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve it hot, garnished with some coriander leaves.