In my earlier post I shared the recipe of masala oats but for those of you who prefer a lighter version (less spice) I will share the recipe for the Lemon Oats. It is super easy to make and also has the South Indian touch. So lets start.
Oats – 1 Cup
Water – 1 Cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 1/4 tbsp
Peanuts – 1/2 Cup (Roasted)
Salt – As needed
Oil – 2 tsps
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Split gram dal – 1 tsp
Bengal gram – 1 1/2 tsps
Green chilies – 2
Red chilies – 1
Curry leaves – As needed
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Dry roast oats until they change color to golden. Set them aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel.Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add all the dals and allow to turn lightly red. Then add green chilies, red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and mix. Add water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add oats and mix. Reduce flame and place lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove lid, add lemon juice and again mix well. Cook without lid for 5 more minutes, mixing once in a while.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve.